: #BlackLivesMatter Rally at Ferguson Police Department; Presidential Candidate Jill Stein Among Speakers
Stein says unequivocally #BlackLivesMatter #BlackResistanceMatters #BlackPowerMatters
Dr. Jill Stein, the presumptive front-runner seeking the Green Party nomination for President, has accepted an invitation to speak at a #BlackLivesMatter rally outside of the Ferguson Police Department (222 South Florissant Road - Ferguson, MO) on Saturday, July 25 at 3:30pm local time. Socialist Alternative St. Louis and the Green Party are co-hosting the event.
“We are inspired by, and are learning from, the words and deeds of the young activists leading the #BlackLivesMatter movement,” says Dr. Stein. “When other presidential candidates are forced to speak about the oppression and exploitation confronting Black people in our society, you will notice they want to quickly pivot away from a discussion about race to a discussion about the economy. They are operating from within a blind spot created by white privilege.
In stark contrast to the Presidential candidates offered up by the two corporately controlled parties, we are building a people powered campaign that aims to dismantle institutional racism and white supremacy."
Our campaign is not just about democratizing our economy, it is about dismantling the systems of hierarchy and oppression that limit the humanity of Black and other oppressed people.”
Dr. Stein formally announced her candidacy for President in a Democracy Now! exclusive last month, introducing her Power to the People Plan.
According to Stein, “The Power to the People Plan creates deep system change, moving from the greed and exploitation of corporate capitalism to a human-centered economy that puts people, planet and peace over profit. It offers direct answers to the economic, social, and ecological crises brought on by both corporate political parties. And it empowers the American people to fix our broken political system and make real the promise of democracy.
The rally at the Ferguson police department is one of the events in the multi-day Annual National Meeting of the Green Party that will take place on the South Campus of the University of Missouri-Saint Louis.The meeting is open to the media and general public.
Members of the media interested in covering the events can see a complete schedule and register for media credentials here.
A preliminary schedule of the Annual National Meeting, provided by the Green Party of the United States, is as follows:
• Thursday, July 23, 4 p.m. Press Conference: Introduction to the Green Party's 2015 Annual National Meeting
• Friday, July 24, 9 a.m. Press Conference with Green candidates and officeholders, guest speakers (participants TBA)
• Friday, July 24, 11 a.m. Press Conference with Green candidates and officeholders, guest speakers (participants TBA)
• Friday, July 24, 7:30-9:30 p.m. Presidential Forum with declared candidates for the Green nomination
• Saturday, July 25, 12:15 p.m. Luncheon, with keynote speaker James Lane
• Saturday, July 25, 3:30-5:00 p.m. Rally in front of Ferguson Police Department, 222 South Florissant Road, Ferguson, Missouri; Green leaders and local activists will speak (more details TBA)
Details for all of these events are subject to change.